We explore the term ‘OCD’ and why it has no place as a marker of attention to detail for the professional editor.
Listen to find out more about
- The difference between character traits of orderliness and the lived experience of OCD
- What is OCD and how does it affect people?
- Why OCD is a noun and what that means for how we use the term
- How OCD might manifest
- How flippant and colloquial references to OCD diminish lived experience
- Intention versus perception of harm
- Editing text: querying rather than prescribing problems and solutions
- Does fiction offer more scope for use of harmful language?
- Alternative words and phrases
- Helping clients create engaging rather than distracting messages
Join our Patreon community
Denise and Louise
‘Vivacity’ Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/